As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Journey to Space 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.49

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
The Man Who Wasn't There 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada
Question What 3D Blu-rays have the most/best POP-OUT effects?

Moderator note: We have several other threads in this forum where pop-outs are discussed in varying levels of detail so by all means contribute to this thread but you might also want to check out the following:

Poll: Do you prefer strong 3D or conservative 3D?

Movies rated by 3D strength: Mild, Medium, Strong, Extreme and in-depth discussion of screen parallax

Time-stamped index of every pop-out in selected 3D movies
and pop-outs that come out over the black bars

Original post: Should 3D Content be Natural or Gimmicky?
Hi all,
I have the Optoma HD66 3D projector (never used it for 3D yet) I have the 3D-XL adapter on preorder and when it comes i want to start watching 3D and gaming on xbox360 in 3D

I've been reading reviews and such but i am wondering what are the top 5 movies with the best gimmick 3D effect? I hear allot about great depth but i like the good old fashioned gimmick pop out fo the screen like monsters vs aliens at the beginning of the movie

So whats your top 5 gimmick 3D ?

Last edited by the13thman; 06-10-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added links to other pop-out threads
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

Jul 2009

What do you mean by "gimmick"? Sorry for my ignorance. And I also don't think there are any 3D games for Xbox 360. At least not yet anyways.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

You'd pretty much have to go to the museum-IMAX 3-D movies for that (eg. Space Station, Siegfried & Roy)--
Most of the post-Avatar renaissance has been so in love with creating depth, they've forgotten the old ping-pong-ball thrill of gimmicking stuff out into the audience.

Apart from the only other pre-Avatar live-action 3-D, "Journey to the Center of the Earth", the only one who still seems to remember "old-school" gimmick 3-D is the guy who was there when the 00's craze started, Robert Zemeckis:
When Polar Express came out of nowhere, people still went to see 3-D movies expecting to see big virtual rollercoasters and things flying toward the camera, and he's been beating that shtick all the way through "Christmas Carol".
(And as luck would have it, those are two of the only 3-D movies currently in retail, and not packaged with some stupid hardware system.)
Thanks given by:
xyscaling (05-25-2022)
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed Blu 1 View Post
What do you mean by "gimmick"? Sorry for my ignorance. And I also don't think there are any 3D games for Xbox 360. At least not yet anyways.
Avatar the Game and Call Of Duty Black Ops both for Xbox360 are 3D

Gimmick = pop out, objects popping out of the screen as aposed to "depth" objects deeper into the screen
Old 12-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #5

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
Avatar the Game and Call Of Duty Black Ops both for Xbox360 are 3D

Gimmick = pop out, objects popping out of the screen as aposed to "depth" objects deeper into the screen
Call of Duty is 3D? Wow! I didn't know that.
Thank you for the info.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed Blu 1 View Post
Call of Duty is 3D? Wow! I didn't know that.
Thank you for the info.
Yep sure is, go to meny and you can select 3D and picture will go SBS (side-by-side)
Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #7

Sep 2010

Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

They're not out on BD yet, but just about EVERY 3-D movie from the 1980s is full of gimmick shots.

Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D has mice, snakes, bales of hay, a yo-yo, a wallet, juggled oranges, popcorn, and of course, two different scenes of eyeballs popping out of the screen.

Amityville 3-D has evil flies, demonic fire breath, glowy orbs, a magnifying glass, a camera, a dead guy's dramatically reaching hand, exploding glass, jets of steam, and a stuffed swordfish flying out at you.

And Comin' at Ya... well, look at the title!

As for more recent ones, and one that IS out, My Bloody Valentine 3-D has a lot of shots of 3-D pickaxe action, and even a dude's severed jaw flying out at you.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
They're not out on BD yet, but just about EVERY 3-D movie from the 1980s is full of gimmick shots.

Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3-D has mice, snakes, bales of hay, a yo-yo, a wallet, juggled oranges, popcorn, and of course, two different scenes of eyeballs popping out of the screen.

Amityville 3-D has evil flies, demonic fire breath, glowy orbs, a magnifying glass, a camera, a dead guy's dramatically reaching hand, exploding glass, jets of steam, and a stuffed swordfish flying out at you.

And Comin' at Ya... well, look at the title!

As for more recent ones, and one that IS out, My Bloody Valentine 3-D has a lot of shots of 3-D pickaxe action, and even a dude's severed jaw flying out at you.

nice ... but obviously i need the bluray ones .... i got my bloody valentine just waiting before i can watch it
its too bad nonwadays they are more interested in depth over pop-out... both would be nice
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #10

Feb 2008

I agree in that I also like the popout effect in 3D movies... but too much can be a bad thing. I think if they could do a balance in the movies for both depth and popout effect then that would be way cool!!
Hmmm I wonder when James Cameron releases the 3D version of Titanic in the cinemas what parts would be popping out of the screen towards you?
Maybe Kate Winslet!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #11

Dec 2010

Although a very shallow game, 3D Infinity for the 360 is very gimmicky. Invincible Tiger is also a tad gimmicky for the 360. Both of these are Arcade games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
Hi all,

I have the Optoma HD66 3D projector (never used it for 3D yet) I have the 3D-XL adapter on preorder and when it comes i want to start watching 3D and gaming on xbox360 in 3D

I've been reading reviews and such but i am wonderinf what are the top 5 movies with the best gimmick 3D effect? I hear allot about great depth but i like the good old fashioned gimmick pop out fo the screen like monsters vs aliens at the beginning of the movie

So whats your top 5 gimmick 3D ?

Last edited by snowman5373; 12-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #12

Dec 2010
London, UK
Default pop out effect

hello there!

i am a new guy here

so far what i have seen there is virtually nothing with serious pop out effect. Its all about depth unfortunately. When i bought my 50in samsung they promised me 3d wonderland - action popping out and filling my living room. Well, i call it lies.
IMAX Grand Canyon begining titles are impressive - water drops is literaly flying out and hoovering in front of you. Meaning, my telly is capable to produce quality pop out effect, its all about 3D production then. Some of the fishes in Under The Sea are also quiet cool. But thats it.

Neither Christmas Carol, Monster & Alien, Bolt have pop out effects and thats really pissing me off. Why they advertise 3D tech as a pop out if it doesnt??

very frustrated...
Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #13

Nov 2009
USA

Modern 3D is all about depth it seems. Pop-out is considered a gimmick from the old red/blue days and almost taboo.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #14

Dec 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower111 View Post
Modern 3D is all about depth it seems. Pop-out is considered a gimmick from the old red/blue days and almost taboo.
then why they use misleading adverts where it is clearly showing things as a pop out??!! Basically thats their selling point everywhere...
And how come it is old way of 3D when it is the most funniest thing having monster head leaping out of telly??
very strange indeed.
In cinemas people are happily giggling when pop out effect takes place and i can bet thats what everyone expects when they go to 3D movie. Ok, depth is cool... but then again - without pop out i would NEVER EVER buy freaking expensive 3d tech
I feel seriously ripped off.
Luckily there are few gems on PS3 which cools me down. I would highlight TUMBLE 3D !!!

Last edited by mushi_mush; 12-15-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #15

Oct 2010
Leicester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushi_mush View Post
Neither Christmas Carol, Monster & Alien, Bolt have pop out effects and thats really pissing me off. Why they advertise 3D tech as a pop out if it doesnt??

very frustrated...
I'd get my eyes checked if I was you Monsters vs Aliens has numerous popout effects
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #16

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I'd get my eyes checked if I was you Monsters vs Aliens has numerous popout effects
Alice in Wonderland too. I found myself ducking a few times.

and Despicable Me had, arguably, some of the best pop out I've seen.
Thanks given by:
xyscaling (03-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #17

Oct 2010
Leicester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khee Mao View Post

just got that and Step Up 3 yesterday and watched Step Up 3 last night.
Plan to watch Alice tonight looking forward to it now
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #18

Dec 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
well... yes and no. The difference between pop out in cinema and TV is huge. maybe it is really down to screen size?

have you seen IMAX Grand Canyon? First opening few minutes are just incredible. Thats what i call pop out!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #19

Dec 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khee Mao View Post

okay, I will get Despicable Me then. Thanks for info.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #20

Dec 2010
London, UK

does anyone know when Despicable Me is having UK release?? I really want it to have as my Xmas entertainment.

and if i get a copy from States, can i watch on equipment i bought in UK?

Last edited by mushi_mush; 12-16-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies